Choosing the right pedals for your bike can be daunting, especially when some have subtle differences that can make a huge difference in your cycling experience. In this post, we’ll look at two of the most popular pedals from Shimano: the Shimano pedal m520 vs m540.
Both of these pedals have some great features that make them ideal for any cyclist, whether you’re an avid cyclist or a beginner. We’ll look at the key differences between the two pedals and their strengths and weaknesses to help you make an informed decision.
Ultimately, the choice is yours, but with this information, you should understand better the features of the two pedals and how they can benefit your bike ride.
Shimano M540 and Shimano M520 are two mountain bike pedals that will give you a better and more comfortable grip. Depending on your preferences, you may prefer one to the other. You can use both pedals in all types of riding, including a road ride.
The Pedales Shimano m540 vs m520
In this post, we’ll help you to decide which one to buy.
Firstly, the SHIMANO PD-M540 is lighter by 25 grams compared to the Shimano M520. The Shimano M540 is a better and improved version of the M520, but the difference is slight and only comes when considering the price and weight. The contact patch area for the SHIMANO PD-M540 is less than the M520.
The M540 consists of a two-bolt cleat which is sometimes discomforting for those who feel the contact space is small. On the other hand, the SHIMANO PD-M540 is known for its super compactness, which makes it a winner in many cycling uses. It has a bearing spindle which is cartridge sealed to prevent friction n case of mud or water.
See also: Shimano M530 Vs. M540.
The sealing also makes it durable and strong. The M520 is clip-less and has a steel axle, making it reliable for any cycling.
Shimano M540 SPD Pedals
Whether you’re hitting the streets for a daily commute or taking to the trails for some off-road adventures, the SHIMANO PD-M540 SPD Pedals will help ensure your ride is smooth and efficient. Crafted from strong, durable Chromoly spindles with 8mm Allen wrench slots and sealed bearing cartridge axles, these pedals are designed to provide optimal performance.
Moreover, thanks to their Fluorine-coated binding cleats, they offer superior entry and release so you can enjoy every mile.
- Brand: SHIMANO
- Bike Type: Mountain
- Color: Silver
- Material: Chromoly
- Easy entry & release with Fluorine coated binding claws
- Strong & durable Chromoly spindle & sealed bearing cartridge axles
- 8mm Allen Wrench mounts
- Shimano SH51 Cleats included
- Sealed bearings for smooth performance & long life
- Sleek, stylish design
- Open binding design allows for easy entry and mud shedding
- Sealed bearings for consistent performance and long life
- Low maintenance design
- Affordable cost compared to competing models
- Good, still now
Shimano PD-M520L Pedals
The Shimano PD-M520L Mountain Bike Pedals provide superior performance and control on the trail. These pedals are made from durable Alloy Steel and Aluminum and have long-lasting durability and superior weight savings.
The innovative design features adjustable tension release cleats that allow you to customize the rigidity of your essential step and offer unmatched stability, even at low speeds. With their contemporary black color, these pedals are perfect for all your biking adventures.
- Innovative design with adjustable tension release cleats.
- Durable Alloy Steel and Aluminum construction for long-lasting durability.
- Low profile design provides extra ground clearance for easy foot repositioning on technical trails.
- Lightweight with superior weight savings for improved overall bike performance.
- Quality Shimano construction for a reliable performance every time you ride.
- Available in stylish black color – great choice for any off-road cyclist!
- Compatible with SPD shoes – SPD cleats can be easily installed and removed without tools giving you greater freedom in cycling!
- Fits nearly all mountain bike cranksets – can be used with most mountain bikes available today.
- Improved power transfer when pedaling
- Easier to maneuver and turn on challenging trails
- Improved safety for mountain biking by being able to disengage quickly from the pedals if needed
- Only 1 color
Shimano M540 Vs M520
|Product Name||Shimano M540||Shimano M520|
|Features||– The open binding mechanism is designed to better shed mud. |
– Strong and durable chrome-moly spindle with 8mm Allen key.
– Easy Step-in and Step-out – Low maintenance sealed bearing cartridge axle.
|– Fluorine-coated binding claws allow for easy entry and release |
– Pedals are dual-sided for easy entry and feature strong, durable CrMo spindles with 8mm Allen wrench mounts
– Low maintenance sealed bearing cartridge axles
– Dual-sided tension adjustment
|Our Ratings*||4.7 out of 5.0 stars||4.7 out of 5.0 stars|
NOTE: Product prices, availability, ratings, and save money information are accurate as of the date/time indicated on post time (as seen right below the title) and are subject to change. Any price, availability, and save money information displayed on the Amazon Site at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
FAQ for Shimano M520 vs M540
Shimano M540 is a better and improved version of the M520.
The Shimano M540 Vs. M520 comparison will result in the M540 as a better choice. The Shimano M540 possesses all the qualities of its predecessor, only in a refined way. The price is also less than most other competitor bike pedals by a considerable margin. You should pick this model.